Monday, April 1, 2019

2019 Goals Quarterly Check-in

  1. Read 52 Books - Progress: 14 / 52 
  2. Finish my Lord of the Rings in Chronological Order project - Progress: 41% 
    Thoughts: Coming back into this project in earnest, I can say without a doubt, I enjoy the stories more when I'm reading through rather than skipping around. I know for the purpose of this project, it's to make sure you have the chronology of what's going on when, but I keep forgetting what's going in in each history. For example, Galadriel's story spans the First, Second, and Third ages. So I keep reading about it in tiny chunks separated by many other bits of information. I forget what's happening. I'm going to keep reading the way I should for the chronology to work out, but if I ever decide to read all the supplemental materials again, I'll do it in a slightly different manner. 
  3. Back to the Classics - Progress: 2 / 12
    Thoughts: I haven't been as impressed with my choices so far. Pinocchio is just as weird as you'd expect, and Years of Grace was disappointing. It started out okay, but fell out of favor for me about halfway through. Hopefully some of my other books will be better.
  4. To Be Read Challenge - Progress: 0 / 12
    Thoughts: Hmm... apparently I need to prioritize a few of these.
  5. Newford Part 1 - Progress: 2 / 12
    Thoughts: Dreams Underfoot is such a lovely short story collection. I've enjoyed the two books I've read so far for this challenge, and am really looking forward to the rest.
  6. Austen Challenge - Progress: 1 / 7
    Thoughts: I love Austen, so there's really not much more to say other than what was already in my review.
  7. Year of Wonder - Progress: 90 / 365
    Thoughts: It's really interesting listening to the various tunes here. There are so many I've never heard before. And while I'm not a fan of everything, I'm really enjoying the process of actively listening to music again. It's been so long since I've done so. 
  8. Other Books Read: 8 
Top 3 Books This Quarter

Austen, Jane - Sense and Sensibility
de Lint, Charles - Dreams Underfoot
Arden, Katherine - The Winter of the Witch

Much of my reading was derailed by two things: First, reading books for other areas of my life that have nothing to do with the challenges (family book discussion and books for work). Second, I started running a Dungeons and Dragons campaign and had to learn how to DM - thus I'm reading various manuals, reading various campaigns, watching various playthroughs, reading various message boards... and in all of this, my normal reading has been put on hold. I hope to get back on track in the second quarter of the year, though it looks as though I will not be necessarily finishing my challenges this year. Right now I'm planning to read primarily books from my Back to the Classics challenge, To Be Read Challenge, and Newford Challenge as well as keeping up with Lord of the Rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment