Monday, February 25, 2019

The Winter of the Witch by Katherine Arden


Title: The Winter of the Witch
Author: Katherine Arden
Pages: 372
Finished: February 24, 2019

First Sentence: Dusk at the end of winter, and two men crossed the dooryard of a palace scarred by fire.

Summary: In The Bear and the Nightingale, we see the start of the battle between the chyerti (Russian folk spirits) and the Christian religion. In The Girl In the Tower, rumblings of the battle between the Russians and the Tartars overarch the story. In this final book of the Winternight Trilogy, we see both battles play out. Cherti and Christianity. Russia and the Tartars. And in the middle of it all is Vasya, a girl strong in her convictions and her loyalties to what she holds true.

Thoughts: Wow! This is definitely one of my favorite trilogies. I don't typically buy books, but I'm considering purchasing this trilogy. I'll have to mull over it for a bit.

As I said in my review for the first book, I'm a sucker for stories where the old religions fight to stay relevant in a world where Christianity is a thing. And this story was so much more satisfying than most.

Vasya herself is a fantastic character. She is strong, and she's smart, but she's not a Mary Sue. She can do things, but she's wrong sometimes. Many times actually. But even with that, she learns from her mistakes and improves.

I also really liked the way Arden handled the character of The Bear. I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't say much more other than I liked it. Very reminicent of the idea of balance in the universe.

Overall, the book was very satisfying end to an incredibly satisfying trilogy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment