Sunday, March 31, 2019

Year of Wonder March Check In

This month brought quite a number of new pieces to me with varying degrees of success. Much of it was folk based which I really appreciated. Most of my favorite pieces of classical music are based off folk tunes. There were also a number of modern pieces which were... interesting. I find it interesting to learn about them, but I don't always enjoy listening to them. The other portion of this month was music that was just there. It was fine to listen to, but I felt rather apathetic about it. 

Thoughts on specific pieces below:

Ar hyd y Nos - All through the Night - Traditional Welsh: Beautiful piece of music that I wasn't even aware was Welsh. I didn't come across it until college when we had to show that we could play piano and sing at the same time. This was one of the pieces. 

Missa prolationum 1: Kyrie Eleison I by Johannes Ockeghem - One thing I've learned during this process is that I LOVE the various Masses we've listened to. Apparently I need to add more of those to my daily listening.

Carmen Suite no., 3: Intermezzo by Georges Bizet - I played this in high school! Such lovely music!

Symphony no. 1 in D major, op. 25 ('Classical') 1: Allegro by Sergei Prokofiev - So far, I've been really impressed with the Prokofiev I've heard in this exercise. Other than Peter and the Wolf and his Romeo and Juliet suite, I had never heard anything else by him. But this solidifies the idea that I need more of him in my life. 

Zigeunerweisen, op. 20 by Pablo de Saraste - one of the folk tunes turned classical! This one is super dramatic. You can really imagine Paganini playing this.

Libertango by Astor Piazzolla - Latin music infused with jazz. 

Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major 1: Prelude by J. S. Bach - It occurs to me that I've never heard the rest of this suite, only the first movement. 

Overture from La clemenza di Tito, K. 621 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - I'm not a fan of Mozart, but this piece definitely intrigued me. I've never seen this opera, or even heard of it. Time to do some more research.

No comments:

Post a Comment