Monday, April 8, 2019

Wonder by R. J. Palacio


Title: Wonder
Author: R. J. Palacio
Pages: 311
Finished: April 7, 2019

First Sentence: I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.

Summary: August Pullman, who's been home schooled for most of his life, is starting middle school this year. Only August Pullman isn't your typical ten-year-old boy. He suffers from a severe facial deformity. So navigating the hell that is middle school is about ten times as terrifying for him.

Thoughts: I tried to read this book about five years ago when it was all the rage. I couldn't do it. So many books on the Caudill List that year and the year before were about kids with some sort of disability being bullied and then overcoming it. I just couldn't read another one. Particularly because, as someone who was bullied as a kid, I know the bullies basically NEVER learn.

Anyway, the movie a while ago, and I ended up watching it for work. I LOVED the movie. I mean, the Auggie story was what it was. But I was really in for the affection the kids were showing each other. For some reason I was getting a Gordie and Chris vibe from Stand By Me between Auggie and Jack.

So because I saw this movie of kids being unashamed of showing affection for each other, I was willing to try the book again.

It was fine. Not quite as horrific as I remember. In general, I feel Auggie is too well adjusted and the kids basically get over their fears and meanness too much.

I also preferred the Julian story in the movie over the book. But from what I understand, there's a missing chapter there that we will get later.

Definitely a book to recommend to kids who like Contemporary fiction particularly about kids overcoming difficulties and bullies. Still not my cup of tea.


EDITED TO ADD: I checked out the book Auggie and Me which includes three novellas: The Julian Chapter, Pluto, and Shingaling. The Julian Chapter is basically the story of Wonder from Julian's perspective. Hm... I can see how the movie took elements of this story and added it to the film. Many people said that they felt this story exonerated Julian somewhat. I didn't see it that way. The kid had HORRIBLE parents who only cared about status. They didn't really teach him anything helpful. And I don't feel that they or he handled the situation with Auggie well at all. I see he had a phobia to scary faces, but his mom clearly wasn't listening when they were told about it because there was no attempt to deal with it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm glad Julian realized he was being a bully, but I'm glad that it took a long time for him to feel any remorse for what he did.

I skipped over Pluto. It's a story about his friend Christopher from before he goes to Beecher Prep. I didn't care about this kid, so I didn't bother reading.

Shingaling follows Charlotte's storyline through Beecher Prep fifth grade. Boy did that girl have a lot going on. I liked having a bit more information to the story, but in general, I still don't find the books to be something I enjoy reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment