Saturday, December 30, 2017

2018 Back to the Classics

Edited: This is my final wrap up. All links go to the reviews. My contact info is notrosesshadow [at] gmail [dot] com

After doing the Back to the Classics Challenge last year, I really enjoyed it, so I've decided to try again this year! I stuck to my list pretty well last year - only substituting one that I just couldn't handle. I'm hoping for the same this year. This is also a really good chance to knock another couple books off my Classics Club list. Below is my list. I'll be following all rules to the challenge and adding one more: Half of my books must be by women authors. I'll also be reading some of these books for a book club with my parents. They requested any books I suggest to them be under 400 pages, so I've added average page numbers here and marked the ones sub-400 with an asterisk for my own easy reference.


19th Century Book: Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
This is, apparently, one of my dad's favorite books. I've never read it, as the first Hardy book I read was Tess of the D'urbervilles. I had massive issues with that book, so hopefully this one will go better.

FINISHED 9/26/18 I have a lot of feelings about this one. It's a very interesting feminist piece of literature. A bit clumsy but I think that's primarily due to the time it was written.

*20th Century Book: Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
One of my later books is Jane Eyre, so it feels fitting to add this to my list this year! I've never read it, but I remember my college roommate raving about the novel.

FINISHED 4/15/2018 Plausible and thought provoking, but ultimately an unenjoyable read.


Book by a Woman Author: The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather
I enjoyed My Antonia when I read it in high school. I look forward to this one!

FINISHED 2/13/18 Really wanted to like this one, but felt generally apathetic about it. Was a chore to get through


Book in Translation: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (457)
I started this once in high school and it didn't work out. Time to try again over a decade later. Might work a bit better.

Changed to The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery.

FINISHED 3/1/18 Incredibly surreal experience. Haunting. I most definitely was left with a hole in my heart when I finished it.


*A children's classic: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (331)
I love this story. I've only read the book twice I think, but it's so sweet and charming. Definitely looking forward to a reread.

FINISHED  8/2/18 Very charming little book, though a bit slower than I remembered.


*A classic crime story, fiction or non-fiction: Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
I've never read this! I've never read ANY Agatha Christie books! I'm 30. How is that possible?! With the new movie out, this seems like a given for me. I'm sure I won't be the only one reading it, but I don't care. I'm excited!

FINISHED 1/14/18 Not what I expected.


*A classic travel or journey narrative, fiction or non-fiction: The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
Travel backwards and forwards in time counts right? If it doesn't, I'll figure something else out.

FINISHED 11/7/18 A much deeper look into science than I expected. Wishbone (and every other screen adaptation of this) deceived me re: the Eloi and Morlocks.

*A classic with a single-word title: Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 
Other than the fact that this is on my Classics Club list, I know little to nothing about it. Looking forward to reading it though!


Changed to Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell I didn't realize Moonstone was actually The Moonstone.

FINISHED 7/25/18 Very pleasant and funny. This really makes me want to read more of Gaskell's works.

A classic with a color in the title: The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Like the one above, I don't know much about this author or his books, but ever since I put these on my Classics club list, I've wanted to read them so badly.

FINISHED 12/21/18 Interesting read. Not as good as The Moonstone but definitely suspenseful.


*A classic by an author that's new to you: The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte
She's the only Bronte Sister I've never read. Looking forward to this.

FINISHED 8/15/18 Wonderful book. Incredibly strong women characters that made the book enjoyable even though the subject matter was one I tend to avoid when possible

A classic that scares you: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
This book is over 1,000 pages and a translation. My general experience with translations is they can be good, or awful! I'm using the Modern Library Classics translation that my mom gave to me after she read it. She liked it, so here's hoping it works. I plan on breaking this down over the course of most of the year to make it manageable. Maybe ten minutes a day?

FINISHED 11/17/18 Very long and drawn out story of revenge. Few likable characters. Tiny details mentioned in passing that become important later. Just not my cup of tea.

Re-read a favorite classic: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
This may be the first adult classic I ever read. I read it in 7th grade and understood only the basic plot. I've read it about four times since, but it's been a while since my last foray.

FINISHED 3/16/18 I really enjoyed this the fifth time around! Such lovely language, and Jane is so strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment