Friday, July 27, 2018

Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell


Title: Cranford
Author: Elizabeth Gaskell
Pages: 160
Finished: July 25, 2018

First Sentence: In the first place, Cranford is in possession of the Amazons; all the holders of houses above a certain rent are women.

Summary: A slice of life novel regarding the ladies in the town of Cranford. We follow them in all their escapades and foibles, some quite serious, others less so. All very humorous.

Thoughts: My only experience with Cranford was the BBC Masterpiece Theatre run back in the early aughts I believe. So when I started the book, I was a bit surprised that some of the story lines were completely gone. Of course, with a bit of research, I found out the television adaptation was composed of three different Gaskell novels/novellas, and so I was free to read without wondering too much.

I have to say, it was a pretty delightful experience! I found the characters all very charming in their own ways. Miss Pole is absolutely ridiculous but then so are the rest of them for various reasons. There wasn't a whole lot of through plot which normally bothers me, but I really enjoyed this slice of life writing. Perhaps it's due to the humor and sarcasm Gaskell infuses throughout the novel. Each person was very much a person. I could definitely connect some of these people with actual people in my life. Miss Pole for example has one or two real life dopplegangers.

Out of the two Gaskell novels I've read, I think I prefer Wives and Daughters. That being said, this was a pleasant break from some of the other things I'm reading, and I was very happy to take the time to read it. I will definitely be seeking out more of her work.

This counts for my Back to the Classics Book with a Single Word Title.

2 comments:

  1. I was also surprised at how different it was to the series (and to be honest, I think I prefer the TV adaptation!) If you liked Wives & Daughters I would also recommend North and South, I think those two are her best novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation. I will be working my way through Gaskell's works now that I've discovered her. She's pretty fantastic!

      Delete