Friday, August 3, 2018

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett


Title: The Secret Garden
Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Pages: 310
Finished: August 2, 2018

First Sentence: When Mary Lennox was sent to Misselthwaite Manor to live with her uncle everybody said she was the most disagreeable-looking child ever seen. 

Summary: After a cholera outbreak in India kills her parents, Mary Lennox comes to Misselthwaite Manor in England to live with her uncle. The house is full of unhappiness and secrets, but Mary, given free reign out of doors, manages to find a shut up garden. She and local boy Dickon help bring it back to life. Meanwhile, inside the house, Mary also discovers another secret: Colin, the Master's boy lies sick in bed convinced he's going to die.

Thoughts: I believe I last read this in high school or maybe middle school? The first time I ever experienced this story, my father had read it to us. I remember being absolutely taken with the process of finding the garden.

In general, I was very pleased with the story! I enjoyed watching Mary grow from a sickly, spoiled child to a thriving girl. I also enjoyed the process of watching Colin do the same. The book is definitely a champion of the power of outdoors, which to be fair, I tend to believe in as well. I very much feel like we would all be happier if we spent at least a good hour out of doors, preferably doing something active if possible.

I was surprised how late Colin actually shows up in the book. He seems to be such a big portion of the story, and yet half the book goes by before Mary finds him in his room! And from there, he sort of takes over the story.

I definitely really appreciated the book, though I feel I liked it better when I was a child and my dad read it to me. I can't wait to read this one to my kids!

Read for Back to the Classics Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment