Monday, December 16, 2019

Back to the Classics 2019 Wrap Up

Total Number of entries: 1 (started a 9th to make 2, but made the decision to not finish it) 
Contact: notrosesshadow [at] gmail [dot] com

19th Century ClassicBarnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens (1897) 
FINISHED 6/9/19 - Pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this. Neat bit of history too.

Classic by a Female Author: Daniel Deronda by George Eliot (1876) 
FINISHED 10/29/19 - Wanted to like this much more than I did. Beginning and end were fine, but bogged down in the middle.

Classic in Translation: The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (1883) 
FINISHED 2/1/19 - rather simplistic, ridiculous, and not very fun to read. Clearly a children's book.

Classic Comedy: Emma by Jane Austen (1815) 
FINISHED 11/14/19 - While not my favorite Austen, one of my favorite books read for this challenge. I love Austen so much.

Classic Tragedy: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (1847) 
FINISHED 5/20/19 - I hate this book. I hate this book more than any other book I've ever read. 

Classic Novella: Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote (1958) 
FINISHED 6/21/19 - As underwhelmed with the book as I was with the movie.

Classic From the Americas: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (1967) 
FINISHED 6/18/19 - most surreal reading experience I've had in a while. Loved the book even as I disliked most of the characters and story...

Classic From a Place You've Lived: Years of Grace by Margaret Ayer Barnes 
FINISHED 3/17/19. Better than Augie March, though the bits I enjoyed most were the actual discussions of Chicago. 

20th Century Classic: The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsanay (1925)
GAVE UP 12/16/10 - Underwhelming and uninspiring. Hard to focus on.


4 comments:

  1. It was awesome teaming up this year on One Hundred Years of Solitude. We should definitely plan another title to tackle at the same time this year. I have Wuthering Heights on my Classics list. I read it years ago, but don't remember if I liked it or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic having a partner to help motivate me! I'd love to team up again. I eve looked over your Club list just to see what you have in common with me. Looks like we have a number of chunky novels in common (Anna Karenina, Don Quixote, Possession) as well as Atwood's Handmaid's Tale!

      Delete
  2. Hey, Allison, in March/April Ruth and I will do a read along of One Hundred Years of Solitude. Since you read it recently, you may want to stop by and exchange impressions with all of us.

    Nice meeting your blog. I'm following it. You may not see it because I follow blogs at my WordPress reader. But you are now on my feed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. I'll try to stop by and take a look come March/April. And thank you for following!

      Delete