Sunday, June 23, 2019

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote


Title: Breakfast at Tiffany's
Author: Truman Capote
Pages: 142 (my copy was only 89)
Finished: June 21, 2019

First Sentence: I am always drawn back to places where I have lived, the houses and their neighborhoods.

Summary: Capote's novella follows a short episode in the narrator's life as he interacts with his neighbor Holly Golightly. Holly is a young woman who doesn't want to be tied down. She lives life with seeming no plan and goes where the wind takes her which eventually leads her to trouble.

Thoughts: I remember seeing the movie to this when I was in college. It's one of those movies everyone talks about but I never took the time to watch. I was unenthused. I didn't really like Holly Golightly, and the other characters were forgettable to me.

The book feels much the same. Ultimately, it's a book about a 19-year-old trying to find herself. Holly is unabashedly herself, and the fact that she is so immature is explained by the fact that she is so young.

I think ultimately, the reason why I responded so viscerally to Holly is because she's so similar to other people I know who act the same way. And it's obnoxious as hell to try and be friends with them. I feel like most of my books for Back to the Classics are following the same theme of Glad I Read It But Won't Read It Ever Again.

This counts as my Classics Novella for Back to the Classics and crosses another Classics off my Club list.

No comments:

Post a Comment