Wednesday, December 18, 2019

2020 Goals/Challenges

I thought long and hard before committing to any challenges this year. The reason for that is that I'm pregnant with my second child! It's due in May. But with that being said, I have no idea just how things are going to go between time and brain power. I considered not joining any and just being directionless, but then decided I probably wouldn't end up reading at all if I did that. So I've signed up for a few and decided to continue my others. However, I'm not going to feel bad if pregnancy/new mom brain takes me completely off track. As long as I'm reading, I consider that a win.

1. Beat the Backlist / Virtual Mount To Be Read
   Last year, I participated in the TBR challenge from Roofbeam Reader. I did poorly in it, and it's not coming back this year. So I've found some others. Both Beat the Backlist and Virtual Mount To Be Read seem like they'll fit the bill. If you scroll down, you'll see twelve books I'm going to use to start, BUT books listed in the other challenges will count as they've been part of my Backlist / Mount To Be Read. However, the other challenges are a little more specific in their rules. For Beat the Backlist, I'm on Team Borrowers. For Virtual Mount TBR I'm starting at the Mount Crumpit level which is 24 books.

2. Read "half the books" remaining on my Classics Club list
    Half is in quotes because a number of the books on my list are SUPER long. So I added together the page lengths of the books and divided it in half. In 2020, I hope to read approximately 3000 pages from my list which comes out to either three chunky books or basically all the other ones. Hopefully I can fit these into some Back to the Classics Categories as well.

3. Complete my Newford Collection Challenge
    This feels doable. I enjoy reading De Lint so I don't think this will be too difficult at all. Of course, since this is lower down on my priority list, and there are a lot of books to read, there's a fair chance that I won't get through this one. But that's okay.

4. Complete my Austen Challenge
    Last year I decided to read all of Austen's writings including novels, novellas, unfinished works, and juvenilia. Midway through the year, I added a modern book that someone had written a favorable review for. And then I dropped this challenge to low priority. It's low priority this year too, but I would like to finish it if possible.

5. Reading Classic Books
    It seemed as though Back to the Classics was not coming back this year, so I searched and found a similar challenge that I signed up for called Reading Classic Books. While I have gone ahead and fit some books I plan on reading this year into the categories, this is by no means a final list.

6. Library Love Challenge - January
    Natural challenge for me to join as 99% of the books I read come from the library. In fact, looking at the books listed below, at least 40 of them will be checked out from the library.

7. Back to the Classics
    Looks like it did come back. Categories listed below. My aim is to fit six of my books this year into the categories. I have an idea of what will go where... but of course, that depends on what I actually read! Books listed are completely subject to change.


Beat the Backlist / Virtual Mount To Be Read:
  1. Nights At the Circus - Angela Carter 
  2. Endless Night by Agatha Christie 
  3. Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow 
  4. The Impossible Girl by Lydia Kang
  5. Water for Elephants - Sarah Gruen
  6. Practical Magic - Alice Hoffman
  7. The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey 
  8. The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern
  9. Heart's Blood by Juliet Marilier
  10. Uprooted by Naomi Novik
  11. The Watchmaker of Filigree Street - Natasha Pulley
  12. The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer

Remaining Books on Classics Club List:
  1. Atwood, Margaret - The Handmaid's Tale
  2. Austen, Jane - Sanditon and Other Tales
  3. Barrie, J.M. - Peter Pan
  4. Byatt, A.S. - Possession
  5. Cervantes, Miguel de - Don Quixote
  6. Dickens, Charles - Martin Chuzzlewit
  7. Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - A Study in Scarlet
  8. Forster, E.M. - A Room with a View
  9. Shakespeare, William - Twelfth Night 
  10. Shakespeare, William - A Winter's Tale (folger shakespeare library ILL)
  11. Steinbeck, John - East of Eden
  12. Thackeray, William Makepeace - Vanity Fair
  13. Tolstoy, Leo - Anna Karenina
  14. Wilde, Oscar - The Picture of Dorian Grey

Remaining Books in Newford Collection:
  1. Trader (novel)
  2. Someplace to Be Flying (novel)
  3. Moonlight and Vines (collection)
  4. Forests of the Heart (novel)
  5. The Onion Girl (novel)
  6. Tapping the Dream Tree (collection)
  7. Spirits in the Wires (novel)
  8. Medicine Road (novella)
  9. The Blue Girl (YA)
  10. Widdershins (novel)
  11. Make a Joyful Noise (YA) (available in Crow Girls)
  12. The Cats of Tanglewood Forest
  13. The Hour Before Dawn (IN Muse and Reverie)
  14. Old Man Crow (In The Very Best of Charles de Lint)
  15. Little Grrl Lost (Find somewhere (buy?))
  16. Promises to Keep
  17. Dingo
  18. Muse and Reverie (collection)

Austen Challenge
  1. Northanger Abbey
  2. Persuasion
  3. Pride and Prejudice
  4. Letters to Pemberley
  5. Sanditon and other Stories

Reading Classic Books
  1. Over 500 pages - Anna Karenina
  2. POC author or main character ???
  3. Set in country other than where I live - Peter Pan OR A Study in Scarlet
  4. Translation - Don Quixote
  5. New to you author - A Room With a View
  6. Poetry ???
  7. 1800-1860 - Persuasion
  8. LGBT author or main character: Picture of Dorian Gray
  9. Woman Author - Pride and Prejudice
  10. Novella - Lady Susan
  11. Nonfiction ???
  12. Banned or censored: Twelfth Night

Back to the Classics
  1. 19th Century Classic. - Martin Chuzzlewit
  2. 20th Century Classic. - A Room With a View
  3. Classic by a Woman Author. - Pride and Prejudice
  4. Classic in Translation. - Don Quixote
  5. Classic by a Person of Color. ???
  6. A Genre Classic. - Peter Pan OR A Study in Scarlet
  7. Classic with a Person's Name in the Title. - Picture of Dorian Gray
  8. Classic with a Place in the Title. - Northanger Abbey
  9. Classic with Nature in the Title. - A Winter's Tale
  10. Classic About a Family - Anna Karenina
  11. Abandoned Classic - East of Eden
  12. Classic Adaptation. - Twelfth Night

7 comments:

  1. Good luck with your challenges and I wish you all the best with your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've given me some ideas for my 2020 challenges, so thank you for that. You've got some great titles on your list. I enjoyed Endless Night as I have with all of the Christie novels I've read so far. I'm planning on reading Starless Sea as well. I'm so excited Erin Morgenstern has finally put out a new novel! I hope everything goes well with the pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was able to provide some inspiration. Your review of Endless Night convinced me to add it to my own list of books to read. I'm really excited about my TBR list this upcoming year, particularly the Morgenstern. And thanks for the well wishes. So far so good!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Allison,
    Congratulations on your coming little one.
    I just wanted to say, you have some of my favorites on your CC list remaining:
    Room with a View
    East of Eden
    Anna Karenina
    The Handmaid's Tale
    and of course Don Quixote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We're very excited!

      I've read Handmaid's Tale before, but that was just over 15 years ago when I was a senior in high school. I'm interested in seeing how my views have changed since then.

      Delete
  4. I second that, good luck on the books and pregnancy fronts.

    ReplyDelete