Tuesday, December 10, 2019

The Ivory and the Horn by Charles de Lint


Title: The Ivory and the Horn
Author: Charles de Lint
Pages: 318
Finished: December 10, 2019


Summary: A collection of short stories set in de Lint's fictional town of Newford. Later in chronology than Dreams Underfoot.

Thoughts: I'll start with thoughts of the collection of a whole followed by thoughts on the individual stories for those who wish to read a wall of text.

There was a significant increase in continuity, call backs, and further exploration of familiar characters in this collection than any other de Lint I've read so far. Six of the fourteen stories specifically continued or related to stories from the first collection, Dreams Underfoot. Two others were vaguely connected to each other. It was neat seeing the connections and finding familiar characters. For two books that were read quite far apart from each other, I was surprised at how much I remembered of the previous iterations with these characters.

One thing that shook me, for some reason, I always though of Newford on the west side of the continent. In at least two stories, it was made clear the city is on the east side.

The stories I liked, I really really liked. The ones I didn't... yeah. While I appreciate that de Lint explores the dark side of humanity, I don't particularly enjoy reading it. Particularly now that I'm pregnant. I like things lighter. So, as with any collection, there are stories that really stick out as some of my favorites, and others that I just read and want them to be over.

Anyway, onto my thoughts on individual stories.

Waifs and Strays - When I started reading this, I recognized the characters, which meant I had to go digging through Dreams Underfoot. Sure enough, there they were. Obviously, getting back on one's feet is not so easy as we see in this continuation.
Mr. Truepenny's Book Emporium and Gallery - One of my most favorite stories in Dreams Underfoot is the story "The Moon is Drowning While I Sleep." In "Mr. Truepenny," we meet Sophie again. Now she's discussing a man she seems to have brought into being by dreaming him. Perhaps due to her fairy blood that she's not sure she believes she has. I like that she still has Jeck in her life, even if it is in the world of sleep. Wherever that is. Also, this feels similar to the creatures in Memory and Dream who come across when an artist paints them into being.
The Forest is Crying - First story not to harken back to characters from Dreams Underfoot. In fact, I'm fairly certain all the characters in it are new. Interesting use of time travel or spirit walking. I'm not sure which. I like when things come out all right in the end.
The Wishing Well - This is one of the stories that I was done with. As someone who has been through dark times, not like this but my own version, and has come out the other side with the help of therapy, I find it difficult to be around people who aren't ready to accept help yet even though they so clearly need it. I'm not a good person to help. And as I read this one, I found myself continually thinking, "You need therapy. Now. Please go get help." This is also the longest story.
Dead Man's Shoes - So totally de Lint. Creepy exactly what I expect out of him.
Bird Bones and Wood Ash - I feel like we're getting to the dark point in the book. Story after story is dealing with really tough and depressing topics. Which is part of what makes de Lint so effective. We meet Dennison from earlier again in this story.
A Tempest in Her Eyes - I like this one. Call back to Dreams Underfoot and just a good, old fashioned fairy encounter.
Saxophone Joe and the Woman in Black - Hm.... short and to the point. But not my favorite ultimately. Callback to a character from one of his darker books I read earlier this year.
The Bone Woman - This feels very de Lint-y. I suppose all his stuff is de Lint-y considering her wrote it, but this one has the right ratio of Otherwordly, real, and emotion.
Pal o' Mine - ... Another sad one. And one of those ones where you feel like there's nothing you can do because you can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves, even when they're crying out for help. Just super tough.
When Desert Spirits Crowd the Night - Another Sophie story! I love Sophie stories and her dream worlds! I just hope she learns to accept them.
Dream Harder, Dream True - Sophie again! But not... this one is how Sophie's parents met. And for as short as it is, it's lovely.
The Pochade Box - Ooooo, connections and continuations. Jilly meets Tommy and Maisie from our very first story of the novel. Sometimes I feel Jilly is almost too good to be true. How can she be so wise? How can she know so many people? But when I read stories where she's more of the center, I realize I don't care. I just love her. Also, I want to read more with these people. I need Maisie closure.
Coyote Stories - This one went above me. I'm not entirely sure if Albert and Coyote were the same person or... what. Perhaps I'll read it again and come back to edit this. Or maybe just sitting with it will bring the knowledge I'm looking for.
The Forever Trees - An interesting study of friendship and what happens when you break it with a hint of Otherwordly in the Hundred Acre Woods. Also a sad ending to to set of stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment