Thursday, January 25, 2018

Ghostwritten by David Mitchell


Title: Ghostwritten
Author: David Mitchell
Pages: 488
Finished: January 25, 2018

First Sentence: Who was blowing on the nape of my neck?

Summary: Summarizing this is tricky. Nine seemingly unrelated people tell snapshots of their lives across the globe from Okinawa to New York. And yet, they're all related tangentially.

Thoughts: I've read both Cloud Atlas and Slade House by Mitchell before, and was looking forward to this one. I'll admit, it went a bit above my head. I read a couple summaries and other reviews and realized I missed a ton of themes. But I did make the inferences when they were there. I imagine I'll be revisiting this one in a few more years when I'm not carving out reading time between my kid's preschool and my work! I am interested in seeing what else comes from this.

Also! His books are clearly interconnected. Luisa Rey and the two Cavendishes are familiar figures from Cloud Atlas, and one of the characters in this book has a comet birthmark - a birthmark that also figures in the book Cloud Atlas. At the same time, this can't be the same book because that one has a future that goes past this one. Huh... I really need to look at this more.

No comments:

Post a Comment