Friday, January 12, 2018

Listen, Slowly by Thanhha Lai


Title: Listen, Slowly
Author: Thanhha Lai
Pages: 272
Finished: January 12, 2018

First Sentence:

Summary: Mai looks forward to spending her summer on the beach with her friend Montana while they flirt with a cute boy from her class. Instead she's spending it in Vietnam helping her grandmother find out what happened to her husband after The War. And she is unhappy. As is usual with these types of books though, she learns about her family and becomes a deeper, more thoughtful person. Yay.

Thoughts: I listened to this on audiobook, and it honestly ruined the experience for me. Mai is a sixth grade girl, so the narrator went with spoiled, whiny brat when she started. And boy was she spoiled and whiny. I had a really hard time sympathizing with her as a 30 year old adult. But I think some young teens would really enjoy this. Read for my Caudill Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment