Friday, March 1, 2019

Year of Wonder - February

There were some absolutely stunning pieces this month! My favorites:

'Il cavalier di Spagna' - 'A Spanish Knight' from La liberazione di Ruggiero dall'isola d'Ancina by Francesca Caccini. - This is an opera written by a woman in the early 1600s. And it's really fun!

Fantasie nègre by Florence Price - Price is the first Afircan-American woman symphonist and the first African-American woman who's music was considered worth being preformed by a major orchestra. This piece is inspired by the spiritual "Sinner, please don't let this harvest pass." The tune is very familiar and really perfect.

Overture from Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg - The Mastersingers of Nuremberg by Richard Wagner - I always forget how much I enjoy the sounds in Wagnerian music. I don't listen to him often, but when I do, I always enjoy it.

Miserere by Gregorio Allegri - I know I've heard the base melody somewhere. This was stunningly haunting. 

'The Spheres' from Sunrise Mass by Ola Gjeilo - a modern piece that was incredibly interesting. I definitely need to listen to the rest of this album.

Handel in the Strand by Percy Grainger - I love me some Percy Grainger. His music is always so different but pleasing.

Spiegel im Spiegel by Arvo Pärt - An Estonian piece, this was incredibly perfect the day I heard it. I'd had a very stressful day that concluded with me coming home and being too upset to eat dinner. I put on a meditation, and then listened to this and felt my mind quiet and the tension melt away.

String Quartet no. 2 in D major, 3: Nocturne: Andante by Alexander Borodin - this guy sounds really cool. He was both a musician and a physicist. Also a huge advocate of women's rights in Russia during hte 19th Century.

Petite messe solennelle 1: Kyrie by Gioachino Rossini - I was so wholly unprepared for this setting of the Kyrie that I listened to this piece at least three times. I then proceeded to hum it for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment