Saturday, August 25, 2018

Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip


Title: Od Magic
Author: Patricia A. McKillip
Pages: 315
Finished: August 22, 2018

First Sentence: Brenden Vetch found the Od School of Magic beneath a cobbler's shoe on a busy street in the ancient city of Kelior.

Summary: Breden travels to the city of Kelior in order to become a gardener at the Od's School of Magic at the owner's request. Meanwhile, the magician Tyramin creates a stir in the Twilight Quarter of the same city and the king  becomes more and more paranoid about the role of magic in his Kingdom of Numis.

Thoughts: Bad summery. Sorry. Good book though! First chapter was... slow. Even the second chapter took me a bit of time to get into. But once we were introduced to the Twilight Quarter and the intrigues kept mounting, I was hooked.

I was especially intrigued by Tyramin. I couldn't figure out who the man was, and the reveal at the end completely took me by surprise. I really enjoyed his daughter and all her attempts to throw people off the scent. I also really like how the Tyramin storyline and Princess Sulys's storyline connected at the end.

I really liked Princess Sulys and her knowledge of herself and what she wanted. I enjoyed the fact that she wasn't going to let her life happen to her even though she was a princess and had to do as her father said. If anything disappointed me about this book, it was that I felt her storyline didn't resolve as completely as some of the others did.

This is the second McKillip book I've ever read, and I find I'm really enjoying her writing. I definitely plan on reading more of her works.

Read for my personal reading challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment