Thursday, January 5, 2017

Personal Reading Challenge 2017

While joining other reading challenges is fun, I also drew up a bit of a personal reading challenge for myself to get me reading more adult books. Titles will be added as I either start reading one or find something I want to use.

1. Professional Development: Thirty Million Words: Building a Child's Brain 
This could be anything about the importance of reading, child development, or other things about libraries. It may seem like cheating as you would think I would read professional development books for work, but in actuality, books like this fall by the wayside while I madly read children's literature.

Off the top of my head, I'm really interested in the book 30 Million Words for this category. It's one we've talked about a lot at work, but I've never taken the chance to read it.

2. Classic I've Never Read Before: Rebecca
This can be something either on my Back to Classics challenge or something brand new.

3. Fantasy Novel I've Never Read Before: Moonheart
There are a ton of fantasy writers I really admire, but never really get a chance to read. I have quite a list of books here to choose from!

So many to choose from here. I'm thinking something by Neil Gaiman or Charles DeLint. Or possibly Jane Yolen.

4. Fairy Tale Retelling: The Fairy Godmother
I read a lot of middle grade and YA fairy tale retellings. I'd love to move into something more adult!

I have lists upon lists to read off of from this category. I'm sure something will catch my eye.

5. Non Fiction:  How to Raise an Adult

I do not read enough non-fiction in my life. I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to go about this one yet, or what my criteria is for this other than finding something in the non fiction section.

6. Non-Western Fiction: Haroun and the Sea of Stories
Most of the books I read are either American, Canadian, or Western European. For this category, I want to read a book from somewhere outside of this region.

7. Book from browsing: Slade House When I used to shelve, I would pick up books that I never heard of before, but that looked interesting. I've not used this method in reading for a LONG time, but I think it's time to start again. This book can be fiction or non-fiction.

8. Random book from my TBR list: The Golem and the Jinni
Another way to add a non categorized book to this challenge.

I've been eyeing The Golem and the Jinni lately, so this might be the opportune time to read it.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, you've got some great goals here. I'm inspired by your "book from browsing" option in particular... I used to find most of my books that way, too, but I can't remember the last time I just went to a shop or library to wander around! Hopefully you'll find a great title or two this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very curious what I'm going to find by doing this. I miss browsing a library section!

      Delete