Wednesday, February 13, 2019

The Dreaming Place by Charles de Lint


Title: The Dreaming Place
Author: Charles de Lint
Pages: 138
Finished: February 13, 2019

First Sentence: "I didn't see you at school today, Nina," Judy said.

Summary: Nina dreams she's in a different animal every night. Only in each of these dreams, the animal she's in gets attacked or killed. And then, one night, a woman mentions that Nina is promised to her. Ash, meanwhile, has a hard time adjusting to life with her Aunt, Uncle, and cousin. But when she finds herself having to save her cousin from a manitou, she goes on a journey through the Spirit World both to save her cousin and herself.

Thoughts: This is considered Newford adjacent. It takes place in Newford, but as it's a YA novel, it doesn't have the same characters that we saw in Dreams Underfoot. It's second in the line up simply because of when it takes place, but it's not necessary to read it to really understand Newford.

In terms of my thoughts, I wasn't as thrilled with this one. It's not that the story isn't good. I did like how Ash was busy finding herself. This one felt much more akin to Moonheart though rather than the stories in Dreams Underfoot. We spent more time in the Spirit Realm than we did in Newford. And while I like other worlds, that's not what I go to de Lint for.

Read for my Newford challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment