Friday, July 27, 2018

Classics Club Spin #18

Ah the classics club spins. The time when we pull 20 books from our list and hope to all that is good that we don't end up with our longest book ever! For readers unfamiliar with the process, those who wish to participate in the Classics Club Spin take 20 books they've yet to read from their Classics Club list and write them down in any order. From there, we wait until August 1 to learn our fate. The mods will draw a number from a hat and that's the book we have to read in the month of August.

Below is my list. I threw my list in a list generator and took out most of the really long ones. (I know that's probably cheating, but I don't care. List order is subject to change.


1. Bronte, Emily - Wuthering Heights
2. Hardy, Thomas - Far from the Madding Crowd
3. Burnett, Frances Hodgson - The Little Princess
4. Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - A Study in Scarlet
5. Shakespeare, William - A Winter's Tale
6. Atwood, Margaret - The Handmaid's Tale
7. Byatt, A.S. - Possession
8. Wells, H.G. - The Time Machine
9. London, Jack - The Call of the Wild
10. Forster, E.M. - A Room with a View
11. Bronte, Anne - The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
12. Twain, Mark - The Prince and the Pauper
13. Austen, Jane - Sanditon and Other Tales
14. Shakespeare, William - Twelfth Night
15. Capote, Truman - Breakfast at Tiffany's
16. Collins, Wilkie - Woman in White
17. Collodi, Carlo - Pinocchio
18. Burnett, Frances Hodgson - The Secret Garden
19. Wilde, Oscar - The Picture of Dorian Grey
20. Dumas, Alexandre - The Count of Monte Cristo

10 comments:

  1. You really picked some classic classics here, if that makes any sense. I have read almost all of them, and most of them are really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really looking forward to a most of them and would be happy with any of them except possibly Count of Monte Cristo. And I'm more worried about not being able to finish that one in a month.

      Delete
  2. Oh a list generator, where did you find that? I need to explore this, intriguing. Are you hoping for any particular number?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just googled randomizing a list. It took me to random.org. If you scroll down, there's an option for lists. Hoping for 3, 11, or 18. Dreading 20.

      Delete
  3. So many great books on your list! I particularly liked Call of the Wild and Room with a View. Far From the Madding Crowd is my favorite by Hardy (and the recent movie adaptation was actually pretty good). Good luck with your spin pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We listened to Call of the Wild on a car ride when I was a kid, but I don't remember a whole lot of it. Far From the Madding Crowd is apparently my father's FAVORITE book, so I figure I should read it at some point.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad Karen mentioned her love of FFTMC above so you can take my lack of the same feeling for it with a grain of salt! I read it for the last spin and was underwhelmed.

    However I loved and adored Room With a View, Woman in White and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's my dad's favorite book, but I'm learning to take his views with a grain of salt as I've been underwhelmed by his suggestions before.

      I'm really hoping for Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Anne Bronte is the only sister I've not read yet.

      Delete
  5. I also have Breakfast at Tiffany's on my spin list. Nice list. I've read seven of these...all good choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited for almost any of them... other than 20. I'm pretty sure it'll be impossible for me to finish that in a month even if it were the only book I was reading.

      Delete