Saturday, May 12, 2018

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman


Title: The Subtle Knife
Author: Philip Pullman
Pages: 326
Finished: May 10, 2018

First Sentence: Will tugged at his mother's hand and said, "Come on, com on..."

Summary: Will finds his way into another world while trying to hide from some bad men. There, he meets Lyra only a few days later from where we last left her. The two of them team up only to find their lives are interconnected. And in the center of it all is a special knife that allows them to travel between worlds.

Thoughts: I remember the first time I read this book. I was so interested in what Lyra was going to find... and the book started with Will. I didn't know who he was, and I didn't care to know who he was. He grew on me though.

This book suffers a little from being the middle book in a trilogy. While the first book starts to set up the conflict and the last one finishes the story, this one continues with the storytelling. There are some cool things though. We learn more about who Lyra is and what she's supposed to do. We learn more about Dust. We also get to see how Dust is affecting all worlds, not just Lyra's. And the fact that there ARE other worlds is pretty fantastic. I would have liked to see more world traveling, but I suspect we'll see more of it in the third book.

I'm continually surprised at how much I don't remember. Each book is familiar, and as I keep reading, I have a lot of, "oh, right!" moments, but there's plenty of surprise too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment