Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Black Swan Green by David Mitchell


Title: Black Swan Green
Author: David Mitchell
Pages: 294
Finished: May 8, 2018

First Sentence: Do not set foot in my office.

Summary: Set over the course of a year in Great Britain during the 80s, this book is a coming of age story for Jason Taylor. Typical coming of age things ensue.

Thoughts: I don't remember how I felt about coming of age novels when I was "coming of age," but I'm not the biggest fan of them now. Not so much because I'm 30 reading about a teenager, but more that I don't remember my coming of age experience being the way that EVERY SINGLE coming of age story unfolds.

Also I was listening to another book at the same time that was very similar, and I kept confusing the storylines. Not Mitchell's best work.

I did enjoy finding the connections between this and Mitchell's other works. Some connections we see are Eva von Oustr..... whatever her name is. She plays the Cloud Atlas again. Also, there's a kid with the last name Noakes who may or may not be related to Nurse Noakes in Cloud Atlas and a few other recognizable names.

Read for my personal reading challenges.











No comments:

Post a Comment