Saturday, October 21, 2017

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin


Title: Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
Author: Grace Lin
Pages: 278
Finished: October 15, 2017

First Sentence: Far away from here, following the Jade River, there was once a black mountain that cut into the sky like a jagged piece of rough metal.

Summary: Minli lives with her mother and father in a little gray village in the shadow of Fruitless Mountain. They have little to eat and hardly any money to spake of, a fact that causes her mother no end of grief. Minli's father, however, tells stories that seem to sustain Minli. In an effort to change their fortune, Minli decides to find the Old Man in the Moon. On the way she has many adventures and learns many more stories.

Thoughts: I think this definitely counts as a frame story. The frame being Minli's journey. I really enjoyed this. I was also surprised at how little I remembered from reading this a couple years ago. I don't know my Asian folktales as well as I do my western European tales. Grace Lin adjusted the tales for her own purpose in the book, but she also added a bibliography for those who wish to read more.

I really like books with female protagonists. Particularly ones as lovely as Minli. Definitely a great role model for young girls reading this book.

Book read for Bluestem Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment