Saturday, August 19, 2017

Back to the Classics Wrap Up

Final wrap-up for Back to the Classics 217 challenge.



1.  A 19th century classic : The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens. finished 12/19  
2.  A 20th century classic: The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - finished 8/17
3.  A classic by a woman author: Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell - finished 3/14
4.  A classic in translation.  Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne - finished 9/14

5.  A classic published before 1800The Odyssey by Homer - finished 9/25
6.  A romance classic: Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen - finished 12/10
7.  A Gothic or horror classic: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - finished 1/18
8.  A classic with a number in the title. 
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - finished 8/1
9.  A classic about an animal or which includes the name of an animal in the title: The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling - finished 2/7

10. A classic set in a place you'd like to visit: The Once and Future King by T. H. White - finished 10/16
11. An award-winning classic: Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell - finished 5/30
12. A Russian classic: Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev - finished 6/15

Favorites: Rebecca, Wives and Daughters, The Once and Future King, Northanger Abbey

Least Favorites: The Jungle Book, Fathers and Sons, Journey to the Center of the Earth

4 comments:

  1. Your favorites are some of mine too! I haven't read your least favorites (and maybe should skip them altogether).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely read through my reviews and see what you think. I was a bit surprised that I didn't enjoy Jungle Book as much as I thought I would.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on finishing! That's an impressive list -- and I agree, The Old Curiosity Shop is one of my least favorite Dickens. Little Nell was really grating and Quilp was just creepy. Also not a fan of Fathers and Sons. Rebecca, Wives & Daughters, and GWTW are some of my favorites -- though I think I should read GWTW again, it's been years since I read it. Thanks again for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I made it without a whole lot of thought other than "These are books I should get around to." There were some lovely surprises here, and some not so awesome ones, but that's the joy of doing this! I love the categories. It really helps me think about books I'd probably never look at.

      Delete