Tuesday, September 26, 2017

The Odyssey by Homer


Title: The Odyssey
Author: Homer - Translation by Fitzgerald
Pages: 474
Finished: September 24, 2017

First Sentence: Sing in me, Muse, and through me tell the story
                           of that man skilled in all ways of contending,
                           the wanderer, harried for years on end,
                           after he plundered the stronghold
                           on the proud height of Troy. 

Summary: Odysseus's long and turbulent journey home from the Trojan war, and how he ultimately slay the suitors who awaited him at home.

Thoughts: I last read the Odyssey over a decade ago. I also admit I remembered very little of it other than the bits that are always talked about. Thus, I was surprised at how quick the epic breezed through the trials of Charybdis, Scylla, the Cyclopes. In general, I rather enjoyed the story up until Odysseus got home. Once he was home, the story dragged on for much longer than I cared to read, ending in a disturbing and gory battle that could have fit in on Game of Thrones.

Penelope was delightful! What an incredibly strong female character! Definitely a new contender for little girl names if we ever have another child.

I remember learning the Greek gods could be petty, but boy... there was a point where I wanted Poseidon to just get over it. Not that Odysseus was a whole lot better...

Overall, I'm glad I reread it. In the course of my reading, I learned of the translations by Lattimore, and having looked over a few passages there, I think I might reserve him for another decade if I decide to reread the Iliad and the Odyssey.

Read for Back to the Classics Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment