Thursday, August 17, 2017

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline


Title: Ready Player One
Author: Ernest Cline
Pages: 372
Finished: August 14, 2017

First Sentence: Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.

Summary: 2044. Economic collapse. Large amounts of unemployment. Large amounts of overcrowding. Really the only place anyone wants to be is in the OASIS, a virtual reality where one can be whomever they want. When OASIS's creator dies, he leaves his legacy in an Easter Egg, a giant contest. The winner gets his fortune and propriety of the game. And five years later, Wade Wilson finds the first clue. A clue that puts him and everyone else who finds it in danger.

Thoughts: I honestly knew nothing about this when I picked it up other than the fact that Wil Wheaton liked it. But we had to read a dystopia for a work book discussion, and I wasn't really feeling 1984 or The Giver. And while I want to reread Handmaids Tale, now's not the time.

So I picked up this, and boy am I glad I did. I immediately fell into the world of the OASIS. Now, I'm a 90s child, but my parents did try to show us some of the 80s stuff. So I really did enjoy the things they discussed. I enjoyed the storyline. Nice bit of speculative fiction.

Not part of a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment