Thursday, July 13, 2017

The Hollow Boy by Jonathan Stroud


Title: The Hollow Boy
Author: Jonathan Stroud
Pages: 374
Finished: July 13, 2017

First Sentence: I think it was only at the very end of the Lavender Lodge job, when we were fighting for our lives in that unholy guesthouse, that I glimpsed Lockwood & Co. working together perfectly for the first time.

Summary: Six months after closing the black market ring on sources, Lucy, Lockwood, and George are at it again. This time, they're busy solving a case of bloody footprints on a staircase while Chelsea is being evacuated due to a mass haunting event.

Thoughts: The good - I was hooked from the beginning. The first two books took a few chapters to get my interest, but this one had me from the first. I like that Lucy is developing her Talent. I like the intrigue Stroud is building around the big agencies. I LOVE the ghosts, though I have to admit, I may have been terrified to grab something from downstairs at 11 PM last night after putting the book down for a moment.

The disappointing - Lucy vs. Holly. Holly was incredibly capable and helpful to them. And she wasn't mean or sarcastic until Lucy reacted poorly to her (which was two seconds after meeting her). I hate the girl on girl rivalry in so many of these books. Girls do have good relationships with other girls where they talk about things other than boys and clothes and makeup. Also, I dislike how much Lucy looks down on people for dressing well or looking put together.

Other than those nitpicks though, I really enjoyed this book. I have to keep myself from running out and grabbing the fourth one right away!

No comments:

Post a Comment