Sunday, March 12, 2023

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie

I read Peter Pan every few years. I don't know what chokehold this story has on me, but I love it so much even as problematic as it is. I had considered reading it aloud to my daughter as I read it, but we'll need to have a few conversations first before I do so thanks to some of the content. 

Pan himself is such a creepy, magical character. I'd be very much like Wendy had I met him as a kid. I always wanted to. 

Barrie captures childhood and development well considering this was written in the early 1900s. How the kids act, especially Peter. They're decidedly kids and act with the lack of judgment that kids so often have. 

The last chapter, in particular, hits different as an adult. I read it, and just burst into sobs. My spouse thought I was nuts. Something about the gay, innocent, and heartlessness of kids and the fact that Peter forgets is just so devastating even though you know that's how it has to be. 

A very pleasant reread and lovely break in the longer books on my classics club.

No comments:

Post a Comment