Sunday, June 30, 2019

Book Review from 17-Year-Old Me

This is supposed to be a goals check in post, but instead, I got distracted by my old blog from the early Aughts. Here's a review of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince that teenage me wrote when the book came out. Warning, there are spoilers for any of you readers who haven't read Harry Potter.

I finished the sixth Harry Potter book at 1:33 this morning. This is a reflection on what I read.


J. K. Rowling's sixth installment of her "children's" series has left a mark. However, I do not believe one can classify this as a children's series any longer. Already a dark plot from the beginning, the rise of Voldemort in the fourth book brings the darkness to a level far more mature than most parents or their children wish to read.

First though, I'd like to point out good things. Harry and Ginny finally get together, as everyone knew they would. I admit, I had a dopey grin on my face when he kissed her. Ron and Hermione also finally get together, which was also known. Admittedly, they had a much more interesting time getting together as they employed every teenage possible when it comes to dating. It was also nice to see the trio got good OWL scores. Also, it was nice to see Dumbledore trust Harry so implicitly as to tell him about Voldemort this year. Finally, Malfoy chickening out and Harry's suspicions about Snape being correct were a huge relief to read.

Now, onto the "bad" things. HOW COULD ROWLING KILL DUMBLEDORE!?! I cried from the moment Snape (yes SNAPE) killed him. After I finished the book, I sobbed like a baby for a good five minutes. Dumbledore was finally starting to tell Harry good stuff about the Horcruxes and Voldeomrt and then he died! Sirius was bad enough and now this...? And Snape, not that I could abide him before, but he was evil! To make it worse, Dumbledore trusted him; therefore, Dumbledore looked like an idiot. This is more minor, but I do NOT like the idea of Fleur marrying Bill. She is one of the most annoying characters in the novels, and I do not wish to see her have a part in the seventh. Harry breaking up with Ginny, that also got me angry, but I had predicted it.

Harry leaving school next year is going to have a profound impact on the seventh book. It is not going to follow the same formula the six have followed thus far. I am very keen, yet I have some trepidations to read it when it comes out. If Rowling would kill Dumbledore, she may kill Ginny, or Ron, or Hermione, or... she may kill Harry.

Last thing I have to say. I loved the family strength shown in the novel. A good example is when Ron is poisoned and the twins come in. The twins torment Ron relentlessly but when he's hurt, they are extremely upset.

Though very upset about most of the plot, this installment excellently sets up the seventh book. I enjoyed it immensely.


It's very obvious to me that I was in still in high school while writing this. My writing style seems so different. Definitely more school formatted than the stream-of-conscious wall of text I put up now. Anyway, regularly scheduled updates will be happening either tonight or during the busy upcoming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment