Monday, November 19, 2018

Classics Club Spin #19

The Spin Number for Spin 19 is NUMBER 1! To participate in this spin, I have to read The Prince and the Pauper by January 31st. That doesn't look too difficult, so I'm going to add number 2 to this list as well - The Woman In White. Between the two of those, I should be set.

Every couple of months, The Classics Club blog hosts a book spin as a way to motivate us to read the books on our lists. Basically, we pick 20 books off our Classics Club list, put them in a post. Then the Club will pick a random number out of a hat, and that's the book we'll read between now and a specified date... in this case January 31st.

According to the spin guidelines, clubbers are encouraged to pick five books from their Classics List that they've been putting off reading, five books they can't wait to read, five books they're neutral about reading, and five free choice books. I modified the instructions a bit considering my list is now at 26 books and most of them fit in one of the first three categories. My list is 6 books I've been putting off, 7 books I can't wait to read, and 7 books I'm neutral about. That leaves only six more books from my Classics Club List that didn't make the cut for the spin. 



  1. The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain
  2. The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins
  3. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
  4. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
  5. Possession by A. S. Byatt
  6. A Winter's Tale by William Shakespeare
  7. The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
  8. Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
  9. Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie
  10. A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  11. A Room With a View by E. M Forster
  12. Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi
  13. Daniel Deronda by George Elliot
  14. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  15. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
  16. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
  17. Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens
  18. Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackary
  19. Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  20. Breakfast At Tiffany's by Truman Capote
Eight of these books are fairly chunky. With this being a monster long time to do the Spin, the hope is I get one of the chunky books. That being said... I'm hoping for numbers 2, 5, or 13. I'm dreading basically the 16 - 18 spread of red on my list. Happy Spinning! This post will be edited when the spin number is chosen.

13 comments:

  1. And you just finished a real chunkster too!!
    Good luck with the spin. I hope you get 7 - one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read that one last when I was a teenager. So it's been over a decade. I'm looking forward to it whenever I do get to it.

      Delete
  2. Lots of great books on your spin - perhaps you can read 2 if one of the slimmer ones gets spun :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely! I really want to finish Woman in White before the end of the year, so if a slim novel gets chosen, I'll read two for sure. Also, if Possession or The Handmaid's Tale get picked, I'll be reading another classics concurrently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From your list Peter Pan I found was a beautiful, deep book not wholly for children...mostly for adults. Breakfast at Tiffany's was also an interesting read -- nostalgic and filled with a sense of pathos. 100 Years of Solitude was bizarre and had me glued to it till I was done. Not something I'd read again, but I did give it 5 stars on goodreads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Pan is one of my favorite books. I remember being unenthused by it as a kid but appreciating it more every time I read it as I got older. I've never read the other two but looking forward to them.

      Delete
  5. The Woman in White is one of my faves and it's long enough to count as a chunkster, I'd say. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely chunky! I'm excited for it though. I really enjoyed The Moonstone by the same author. Hopefully I'll get it!

      Delete
  6. Nice choices. Hope you get one of your blue books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allison what a great list and good that you organized your CC list in those categories. I will have to look at my list again and try to do the same.

    The Woman In White is one of my favorite BOOKS! Don't let the size intimate you, Cillian books are long but once you sink your teeth into them they read so quickly. I read The Woman in White again as a readalong in the summer and we had a fantastic time. Loved taking my time with it although the suspense keeps me reading. Wilkie Collins is amazing. I can say the same about my last book by him, No Name! It's long but let me tell you it NEVER felt that way (well maybe one or 2 parts because I was so curious about what was going to happen next). Wilkie is a genius at suspense. I've only read 3 of his books (The Moonstone is the other one) so you probably can tell I really enjoy his books so far.

    East of Eden is my FAVORITE Steinbeck. I've read many of his books to date and this one was outstanding. The characters, the setting, so much there to appreciate.

    I see a few others that I've read too (A Study in Scarlet, A Room with a View) and some I plan to read too. Daniel Deronda is on my spin list but I will be reading it Dec /Jan with some buddies so I'm looking forward to reading it along with the spin pick! I have Vanity Fair on my TBR but not on my spin list

    ReplyDelete