Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Number9Dream by David Mitchell


Title: Number9Dream
Author: David Mitchell
Pages: 400
Finished: February 28, 2018

First Sentence: "We are both busy people, so let's cut the small talk."

Summary: Eiji Miyake travels from his rural Japanese village to Tokoyo ostensibly to find his father. What follows is an intense, and sometimes very disturbing journey that one can't always tell if it's real or not.

Thoughts: Guys, I was really looking forward to reading these because I enjoyed Cloud Atlas and Slade House so much. So far, I'm not feeling so great about these first two books. I'm going to give it two more books before I make a decision though.

Ultimately, the constant switching back and forth from dreams to reality was just tough for me. It made the actual reality hard to decipher, which was probably the point. But then, the Yakuza chapters? Seriously, don't read this book while eating. Just... don't. The whole book was very surreal. I suppose a book with the word dream in the title would be surreal. But woah.

Mr. Subhataar, a seriously repulsive character from Ghostwritten shows up in this novel. And Mitchell name checks his next book Cloud Atlas in one of the latter chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment