Saturday, April 16, 2022

The Road by Cormac McCarthy



Title: The Road
Author: Cormac McCarthy
Pages: 241
Finished: April 2022


Summary: The Man and the Boy walk south on The Road, hoping to find food and a warmer climate before winter. In the post-Apocalyptic world, food is scarce and other humans are more likely to be cannibals than friendly helpers. Everything has the potential to be dangerous, and time is most definitely against them.

Thoughts: Bleak. So bleak. I did appreciate every time McCarthy put in a scene of reprieve from the struggle. Especially considering some of the scenes are so disturbing that I had to put the book down and walk away occasionaly. 


This was my first McCarthy novel. The lack of punctuation made for a difficult read, but it also really changed the tone of the book for me. Without those clues, I read most of the story in a monotone in my head. It seemed very fitting to the book. 


This was not a fun read, but it did hold my interest to the very end. 

1 comment: