Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Books, Books, and More Books!

No real summaries of any of these considering I read most of them in late December - early February. Here are some vague impressions.

Also, I don't have much to review currently as I've been very focused on children's literature for work and will not be reviewing that here. 

The Devil and the Dark Water
 by Stuart Turton
 - This mystery definitely kept me reading through the entire thing. I will admit that I was roped in by what seemed to be more of a supernatural story though it turned out not so supernatural in the end. I remember tearing through this around Christmas, but it wasn't very sticky. In fact, I honestly couldn't tell you how the characters solve the mystery. Nor can I remember their names. Fun book to read at the time, but clearly not memorable.

The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan
- Super atmospheric with a bit of Irish fairy tale woven in. It took me a bit to realize it's set in what's clearly a distant future where oceans have risen on Earth and land masses are essentially small islands. This feels right at home with books like The Night Circus or just about anything by Patricia McKillip and thus it's right in my wheelhouse. Reading it was like reading a dream. You just have to trust the story will take you where it wants you to go. 

Carrie by Stephen King
- One of those everyone knows something about this story even if they've never read it nor saw the movie. I'd always skipped this as I tend to not like horror. However, I didn't realize this was more psychological horror over paranormal/supernatural horror. Entertaining and quick read. Definitely felt for Carrie. Didn't realize how much of the novel was written as reports and news articles.

Dealing With Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede
- I missed this book as a teen which is honestly shocking because it would have been right up my alley. The main character is quirky. The dragons are great. This was a fun read, though definitely young. I could imagine myself reading this series to my kids as they get older, though I don't think I'd go out of my way to read them myself.

The Hawthorne School by Sylvie Perry
- Thriller set in modern day Chicago. A mom wants what's best for her 4-year-old and enrolls him in an alternative school. The Hawthorne school takes bits from Swedish Forest Schools, Montessori, and Reggio. And while things seem to be going well to start, she notices he seems off, discussing ceremonies in the woods and shunning his classmates. 

This was a weird one for me. The premise was interesting enough, but the reader figures out what happens way before the main character. THough to be fair, that's how cults work isn't it? People get sucked in and don't believe their friends' and loved ones' misgivings until it's too late. Quick read and great bit of brain trash.


1 comment:

  1. I remember enjoying Dealing With Dragons years ago and maybe some others she wrote. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete