Sunday, December 27, 2020

Ormeshadow by Priya Sharma

*Note, I read this in October and never wrote a review. This review is based on impressions only.


Title: Ormeshadow
Author: Priya Sharma
Pages: 165
Finished: October 14, 2020

First Sentence: The argument started a good twenty miles from Ormeshadow.

Summary: After an event that causes some chilliness between Gideon's parents, he finds the whole family packed up and on their way to Ormeshadow Farm on the coast of Wales. There Gideon finds a family who doesn't welcome him, more mysteries, and stories of a dragon - his family's birthright. 

Thoughts: I'm going to start right off and say this wasn't my cup of tea. It was booktalked in a continuing education course I took for work and at the end, the speaker mentioned it's a readalike to Naomi Novik's Uprooted which I read at the beginning of this year and adored. So I was really excited for a fantasy horror novel. 

This was not that. It was more of a psychological horror novel. The reader spends their time guessing what the heck is going on and what is it that Gideon doesn't see. The reader also has to parse out is the dragon Gideon's father talks about actually real? And then we read through the abuse Gideon suffers. 

In general I found the characters unlikeable and I think I must have missed subtext because things seemed to come quickly and at weird times. The writing style was atmospheric but I just didn't enjoy the subject matter. It did not strike me as similar to Uprooted in the slightest which is the whole reason I picked it up! That being said, for a fairly gentle horror novella, it was quick to breeze through.

No comments:

Post a Comment