Monday, February 3, 2020

Prime Time Parenting by Heather Miller


Title: Prime Time Parenting
Author: Heather Miller
Pages: 216
Finished: February 1, 2020


Summary: Heather Miller, the Director of LePage-Miller, Inc, and education firm based out of New York City, has come up with a two hour schedule that she says will fix all your school-night issues. The book walks through the schedule in great detail. The first half hour, the kids get started on homework while you cook dinner. The second half hour is dinner. Third half hour, kids finish homework while you supervise. For the last half hour, it's bathtime and bedtime with a decent routine. Then, once the kids are in bed at a reasonable hour, it's time for parent only time.

Thoughts: The book is a quick read. Nothing scholarly.

That being said, it's really a lot of common sense with a dash of prioritization. I didn't find any of her ideas earth-shattering or new. I was bothered by the fact that there were no notes or citations within the body of text. In fact, there is a list of citations in the back of the book, but there's no notion of it. And not all of her sources seem particularly credible. I was not all that impressed with her list of resources either.

In the end, like with most parenting books I read, there are some ideas I'll take, and others I'll throw by the wayside. With my firstborn going to school next year, I am aware we'll need to change up our current routine. Add a baby in the mix, and it's nice to have an outline that I can play with rather than having to create something from complete scratch.

That being said, I didn't feel like this book was as groundbreaking as it made itself out to be. But that may be more due to my parenting style than anything else.

This impulse read counts as a Library Love title as I acquired it from the parenting display at work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment