Sunday, July 7, 2019

Year of Wonder June Check-in

Beginning of June was a bit sparse in favorites, but the last week had such amazing music. I really enjoy listening to it all!

June 4 - Overture from Ruslan and Lyudmila by Mikhail Glinka - This is not the first time I've heard this piece, but I wouldn't be able to tell you where I did first hear it. Also, I think I need to read some Pushkin, as this was inspired by Pushkin's fairytale Ruslan and Lyudmila. This is the first piece this month that really grabbed my attention.

June 5 - Ribers no. 9 arranged by the Danish String Quartet - Nordic folk music! Really fun piece. Apparently, the Danish String Quartet made an entire album of folk music that I now must seek out.

June 14 - The Lark Ascending by Ralph Vaughan Williams - Oh. My. God. I've heard this a few times. It's one of those pieces that gets tossed around in music education classes. But I forgot just how stunning it is. It's one of those pieces that takes you out of time and space into a surreal world where everything's a little fuzzy and you get shivers up and down your spine. Seriously, go listen to it.

June 23 - The Seasons, op. 37b - June: Barcarolle by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - I've played this piece before on flute. I played two other movements from this work for my Senior Recital in college. What lovely music. I once decided I was going to learn the entire work, but as of yet I've not started. Perhaps I'll try again soon.

June 24 - The Silver Swan by Orlando Gibbons - I didn't really like this one, but it did surprise me. Written in 1612, it's an interesting madrigal with juicy tensions and resolutions.

June 26 - Sinfonietta: 1: Allegretto-Allegro-Maestoso by Leoš Janáček - I've never heard this before, but it totally sounds like something I'd have played in college band. Really lovely brass work.

June 27 - Bring us, O lord God by William Henry Harris - This is one of the more beautiful pieces of music I've ever listened to. It's one of those "world falls away as you listen to it" songs.

June 29 - Eclogue for piano and strings, op. 10 by Gerald Finzi - The end of June has some incredible music to finish up the month. Burton-Hill mentions that this piece has a way of suspending time, and she's absolutely correct. I was absolutely floored by how much lighter I felt after listening to this.

June 30 - Song of June by Jonathan Harvey - Really interesting piece of music. Neat harmonies and definitely makes me want to seek out more of Jonathan Harvey's works.


No comments:

Post a Comment