Tuesday, January 1, 2019

2019 Reading Goals

I'm very excited for the various challenges and other goals I've set up for myself this year! I have at least six goals, and I'm sure more will develop as the year goes well.

  1. Read 52 Books - I consistently hit 52 books every year. Last year, I tried to stretch myself to 70 books in a year. I didn't make it. 52 seems doable.
  2. Finish my Lord of the Rings in Chronological Order project. - A couple of years ago (and by a couple, I mean at least seven) I stumbled across this site. I was already thinking about rereading the core four books, but reading everything chronologically excited my orderly brain. I bought editions I wouldn't mind writing in, plugged them all into the calculator, set up my books, and read through the entire First Age of Middle Earth. And then I put the books down in favor of something else. I think it's time to finish this project.
  3. Back to the Classics - Hosted by Karen at Books and Chocolate. This is my most favorite challenge. I love reading classics, and I especially love trying to fit classics in with the categories. I hope to read all twelve of the categories this year. Link to the challenge sign up here
  4. To Be Read Challenge - Hosted by Adam at RoofbeamReader A new one for me. I don't have a back log of physical books simply because I don't keep a lot of books in my house. I've always made use of my library, and now that I work at a library, I have even more resources to get the books I want. That being said, I always have plenty of books I want to read. My goal is to read all twelve with a potential of adding the two alternatives. Link to the challenge sign up here
  5. Newford Part 1 - I love Charles De Lint's writing. I also discovered that his books about Newford all have a vague chronology to them. They don't really need to be read in order, but they can be. So of course I am reading them in order. There are 24 books that take place in Newford. I plan on reading the first twelve.
  6. Austen Challenge - My most favorite author. It's about time for another reread. This time I'm adding her unfinished works and her juvenile works as well.
  7. Year of Wonder - This is a multimedia challenge. While waiting in line at the coffee shop in my place of employment, I saw a new book we put on display. It's called Year of Wonder: Classical Music to Enjoy Day by Day. Basically, it's a book full of classical music to listen to each day. I was a music ed major in college, I love classical music, and it's been a while since I seriously listened to it! I think this could be a fun exercise. 
All together, this comes to about 46 books. If we add the various children's books I'll be reading for work and the books I read for my family book discussion, I'll reach 52 with absolutely no problem. I'm really looking forward to this year in reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment