Saturday, September 1, 2018

September Reads

Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy - Back To the Classics Challenge
Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord - Personal Challenge
The Count of Monte Cristo - Personal Challenge
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin - Nonfiction Challenge
Switch How to Change When Change is Hard by Chip and Dan Heath - Nonfiction Challenge***

I really wish to finish Count this month if possible. That way I can give myself two months for the other book on my list that I imagine will be fairly slow. 

Out of this list, I'm most excited for Redemption in Indigo. It's a fantasy book inspired by a Senegalese folk tale! I know so little about any folk tales from the African continent other than broad strokes of Egyptian mythology. 

I'm curious about Far From the Madding Crowd as it's apparently on my dad's top five list. He's been less than complimentary about our previous book discussion books, so I hope this one sits better with him.

The two nonfiction books showed up on a list about productivity, and both caught my interest. Now's as good a time as any. 

The Count of Monte Cristo continues to be a slog. I find I can only read about a half hour of it before I lose focus. This seems to be working in my favor because it means I can handle two books at once. Half hour of Count, at least half an hour of something else. While I don't typically enjoy reading two books at once, this is allowing me to make progress rather than stalling forever on the brick.

***I've decided not to read Switch at the moment as I really want to finish Count.

No comments:

Post a Comment