Sunday, April 1, 2018

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell


Title: Cloud Atlas
Author: David Mitchell
Pages: 509
Finished: March 31, 2018

First Sentence: Beyond the Indian hamlet, upon a forlorn strand, I happened on a trail of recent footprints.

Summary: The first time I read this, I intentionally didn't review it because I hadn't a clue how I could possibly manage it. I find myself again, unable to do so. The book is really six stories, nested inside each other like a matryoshka doll (as we are reminded of multiple times in the book.) Each follows a character who may or may not be the same character reincarnated through time. Okay, so it's a bad summary. Just read the book... or find a summery online.

Thoughts: Like the last time I read this, I still don't know how I feel about it. That being said, I had planned on my second read through to be story by story rather than page 1 to page 509. For the sake of this challenge though, I did go ahead and read it beginning to end and will save the story by story for next time.

As with the last time I read it, the first half is slow, the last half is a race to the end. I particularly like Sonmi's story, though I dislike the way it ends. I immediately went ahead and watched the movie on Netflix. It's the third time I've seen the movie and I definitely prefer some of the storylines in said movie to the ones in the book. But the book is fantastic even if I can't talk about it in any sort of way that would be useful to anyone who wanted to read it.

Read for my own personal challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment