Saturday, January 19, 2019

Dreams Underfoot by Charles de Lint


Title: Dreams Underfoot
Author: Charles de Lint
Pages: 414
Finished: January 18, 2018

As this is a collection of short stories, it doesn't make sense to review it as I normally do. At the end of this, I added my thoughts for each story as I felt about it after reading it.

I read this collection a number of years ago when I was in my early 20s. I remember being absolutely enamored with it. So much so that I bought my sister-in-law a copy for Christmas. I tried reading it again when I was pregnant and stopped halfway because I wasn't enjoying them. This third time through was fun though!

I didn't realize before that many of these stories had been published in other collections and stories before they were pulled into this specific collection. I'm not sure how much if at all he revised them for the collection, but I was really impressed at the tiny threads of continuity throughout the book!

My favorite is Jilly. I remember Jilly from other stories of de Lint's I've read in other places. I mean, we're supposed to love Jilly, but she's just lovely.

There's a bit in the middle of the collection where there's really not much fantasy at all and instead we read about some truly horrific things that humans do. At first I was a bit frustrated because I was in this for the fantasy, but then I realized, humans mirror the fantastic. Some are good. Some are bad. Most are really just there.

I'm probably not making much sense, so I'll just leave this with my thoughts on the various stories.

This book was read for my Newford Challenge

Uncle Dobbin's Parrot Fair - Interesting idea of introducing us to Newford through the eyes of another reader of another book
The Stone Drum - I Know I've met Meran before in another Newford story. Also, most of my knowledge from Jilly Coppercorn must be from later. She had the knowledge then. Very haunting story though!
Timeskip - ending gave me shivers. I remember the passage where Geordie was busing to be able to pay for his date so clearly.
Freewheeling - poor Zinc. I remembered the bikes, but I'd totally forgotten the end. That was brutal
That Explains Poland - One of the things I really enjoy about de Lint's stories is that the people feel real even as they're experiencing the unreal. In this case, Bigfoot.
Romano Drom - this is one of those stories that I remember so clearly. As I was reading it, everything came back to me.
The Sacred Fire - I didn't remember this one. It was unsettling, though I suppose that was foreshadowed in the first story when the unpleasant stories in Christy Riddell's book show up.
Winter was Hard - 1. I love Jilly's stories. 2. Winter finally decided to show up where I live. Felt like a proper story to welcome in the cold
Pity the Monsters - another very disturbing story. Sometimes de Lint's stories feel all too real.
Ghosts of Wind and Shadow - More Meran! I believe this is the story I remember her from the most. I only recall certain images from this story, but this is definitely the Meran I remember.
The Conjure Man - I've read this book before, but I have no recollection of this story. I do like the idea of the Storytelling Tree
Small Deaths - I did not remember this one at all. And after finishing it, I found it forgettable.
The Moon is Drowning While I Sleep - This is the one I remember the most. I was absolutely entranced with it as a Young Adult. It's still a wonderful story.
In the House of My Enemy - Oh no. I remember this one. It's so heartbreaking.
But For the Grace Go I - One of teh things I really enjoy about this collection is the subtle thread of continuity between stories.
Bridges - I really liked the idea of Hope vs. Despair and that other world of Bridges. 
Our Lady of the Harbor - de Lint's retelling of The Little Mermaid. I haven't read Anderson's Little Mermaid recently, so I'm not entirely sure how it compares, but I thought it was interesting told through the eyes of someone almost outside the story
Paperjack - A conclusion to Timeskip and just as amazing. I cried so hard.
Tallulah - Oh look, we get to meet Christy! It seems Christy is a fictionalized de Lint in some ways. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved this collection of stories the first time I read it. Charles de Lint is one of the best fantasy writers in the world. I'm excited about finishing 'Widdershins' and posting my review! "Timeskip" was such a brilliant story, many of these others as well. "The Moon is Drowning" is another personal favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Widdershins is so far down on my list, but the cover is just lovely. I can't wait to get to it!

      And yes, Timeskip and Moon is Drowning are stunning.

      Delete