Tuesday, September 10, 2019

The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien


Title: The Two Towers
Author: J. R. R. Tolkien
Pages: 398
Finished: September 10, 2019

First Sentence: Aragorn sped on up the hill

Summary: Beginning right where Fellowship left off, the story follows the various splits in the party. Merry and Pippin, kidnapped by Saruman's orcs manage to escape into the Fangorn Forest. Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas follow their trail in hopes of finding their companions. Frodo and Sam ally with Gollum in order to attempt to get into Mordor. And a mysterious white rider shows his face.

Thoughts: Due to the way the chronology works, I've already dipped into Return of the King, so I'll try to keep my thoughts focused on this book and its form.

First, the book is formatted in two parts. Part 1 is the story of Merry, Pippin, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. Part 2 is the story of Frodo and Sam.

I was very wrapped up in the first six chapters of the story. I enjoyed seeing Merry and Pippin try to solve their issues. I love Treebeard and the Ents so much. I really like the Rohirrim. But then the Battle of Helms Deep happened... Good Lord was that dull. Once that was over, things picked up. I enjoyed the reunion of the hobbits with the "big folk." I will say, I was a bit sad for them that the hobbits were split again due to Pippin's curiosity. But go Pippin for being fairly strong.

The Frodo/Sam chapters were not quite as thrilling. The most exciting would be the bit where they meet up with Faramir. Faramir is lovely. And strong. I love Faramir. But the rest of it is really frustrating. There's nothing like seeing One person get totally snowed by someone and not listening to their friend. I found myself super frustrated with Frodo.

Still, I do love Sam and how loyal he is to his master.

Overall, Two Towers suffers from the fact that it's the middle of the story. Things have to stay in a weird stasis so they can be wrapped up in the conclusion.


No comments:

Post a Comment