Monday, June 18, 2018

The House At Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne


Title: The House at Pooh Corner
Author: A. A. Milne
Pages: 180
Finished: June 18, 2018

First Sentence: One day when Pooh Bear had nothing else to do, he thought he would do something, so he went round to Piglet's house to see what Piglet was doing.

Summary: Starting somewhere around where the last one left off, we have more adventures with Pooh Bear and all his friends. Tigger makes his appearance. Pooh Sticks is invented. Rabbit tries to humble Tigger. A blustery day blows down Owl's house. And Christopher Robin grows up.

Thoughts: My last review was full of not a lot of sense, and I'll admit, this one is almost worse. I started crying while working the help desk at work as I finished this one up. (I work in a library.) Milne has captured childhood and imagination so wonderfully. I loved all of it. We used to play Pooh Sticks as a family. I even remember gathering sticks and taking the train to the City to play Pooh Sticks in the City River

The last chapter though... Somehow Milne managed to hit that melancholy and hope all at once. Definitely worth reading aloud to my kid. Definitely worth a spot on our personal shelves. I'm so glad my mom suggested this for our family book discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment