Wednesday, January 10, 2018

World War Z by Max Brooks


Title: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Author: Max Brooks
Pages: (342) Audiobook
Finished: January 9, 2017

First Sentence: I listened to this, so I don't know what the first line is

Summary: 10 years after China has declared victory against the undead, our unnamed narrator known as the Interviewer travels the world talking to survivors of the Zombie Apocalypse.

Thoughts: This book has been in my sites for a while now thanks to Chris Hardwick extolling it's amazingness on the Nerdist Podcast more than once. He mentioned the unabridged audiobook in a recent episode, so I decided to check it out. I was not disappointed!

I don't like horror. I've an active imagination, and I can give myself nightmares too easily. But this one worked for me. The documentary nature of the book made everything that happened something in the past, so even though scary things were happening, the reader listener already knows that the person talking survives. I liked that, though I understand that not everyone found it so interesting.

The book is divided into multiple parts - basically the set up and spread of the disease, the panic as people realized they couldn't escape, the failed fight against them, the turning of the tides, and the cleanup. The spread of the disease and the panic were really the most interesting parts to me. Latter chapters got long. Also, important to note, interviewees will reference something that will never be explained again. This can be frustrating sometimes when you decide you really want to know about that one small detail, but I got used to it as the book went on.

I listened to it primarily because some of my favorite actors were cast to voice characters in it, but I wish I had read it instead in hindsight. I listen to audiobooks while doing other things, so I'm never paying full attention to what I'm listening to. I mean, it's not too difficult when I'm folding laundry, but I can't put full attention while driving. I also don't retain information as well when listening as I do with reading. I missed references I should have caught, and I found myself forgetting things that happened. I found the Schmoop entry to be invaluable for keeping things straight.

I definitely plan on revisiting this in book form in a year or so. Might be a good October read.

No comments:

Post a Comment