Monday, September 11, 2017

The Creeping Shadow by Jonathan Stroud


Title: The Creeping Shadow
Author: Jonathan Stroud
Pages: 435
Finished: September 3, 2017

First Sentence: I knew at once, when I slipped into the moonlit office and eased the door shut behind me, that I was in the presence of the dead.

Summary: Lucy has enjoyed the last few months working freelance for various agencies, for the most part. Of course few agencies work as well as Lockwood and Co did, but she doesn't like to think about that... until the day that Lockwood asks to hire her for a case. While helping him there, someone breaks into her apartment and steals her skull-in-a-jar. As usual, things spiral out of control. The big haunt the team is originally hired for ends up helping them find the even bigger haunt that resolves the plot of the story.

Thoughts: Okay, these books may be a little formulaic, but I'm really enjoying them! They're the right level of scary for me. Enough that I don't like reading them right before bed in case I have to walk around the house at night. I definitely have to finish cases at the very least before turning out the light. I liked Lucy getting more sure of herself and less obnoxious towards Holly. (Because really, the jealousy thing was a bit difficult to keep reading. It really undermined the character for me.)

I had a decent idea of a lot of revelations except the one at the very end. It definitely took me by surprise and I'm very happy I waited until now to read it! The next book comes out tomorrow (September 12) and I already have it on hold at work, so it should be in my hands by Wednesday. Thursday at the latest.

No comments:

Post a Comment